ANKARA/ANT The majority of the fires have been put out thanks to Turkish firefighting teams’ tireless efforts, but blazes in Koycegiz, Kavaklidere, Milas, Yatagan, and Cine in the southwestern Mugla province, as well as one in the town of Sutculer in Isparta, are still burning, according to Bekir Pakdemirli. He added that firefighting teams are working hard to protect a thermal power plant and touristic areas in Mugla, where up to 15 forest fires erupted initially.
According to him, the fire in Milas is currently “dormant, not posing any significant threat.” “We’ve been fighting the fires with 16 planes, nine unmanned aerial vehicles, 57 helicopters, an unmanned helicopter, 850 water tenders and tankers, and 150 engineering vehicles, as well as 5,250 forestry personnel,” Pakdemirli said.
On Twitter, he said the wildfires in Mugla’s Marmaris, Seydikemer, and Yilanli districts, as well as those in Aydin’s Karacasu and Bozdogan, and Burdur’s Golhisar, had been put out. Pakdemirli added that another wildfire near the central Black Sea province of Karabuk had been put out.
Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu, Environment and Urbanization Minister Murat Kurum, and Transport and Infrastructure Minister Adil Karaismailoglu all paid visits to the fire-ravaged areas. Following that, they held a closed-door meeting with representatives from fire-affected areas to learn about their needs.
In addition, an Azerbaijani firefighting team with 40 fire trucks and 150 personnel has been dispatched to Hamza in the Black Sea province of Samsun. Mayor Adem Murat Yucel said in a statement that at least 107 houses in Alanya, Antalya’s southern province, had been damaged by fires.
Bekir Yilmaz, the district governor of Bodrum in the southwestern province of Mugla, said that citizens affected by fires have received initial aid of 35,000 Turkish liras (over $4,000) per household. Since the fires started in southern and southwestern Turkey on July 28, at least eight people have died, according to official figures. 002